Staff Expertise

Tell us your ideas
LadyTokya

Staff Expertise

Post by LadyTokya » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:06 am

This is continued from the thread Staff Amalgamate that was suggested by Solstice.

What it is:(Staff Expertise) So this nifty skill would allow the player to combine currently imbued staffs together to form one staff with the previous charges added together.
Oak staff with 10 Charge's + Oak with 10 Charges = Oak with 20 Charges

Example: Oak din fire staff (21 Charges), included in workbench with another Oak din fire staff (15 Charges), using Staff Expertise would combine the 2 staffs into 1 staff with a total charge count of 36 Charges, if your level is high enough. Adding more staffs at once requires a higher work value to succeed.

Con's:
*Only works on oak staffs and up. This is so you cant go and buy a butt ton of merchant sold staffs and combine them for easy Charged staffs. The lower staffs would still be used for skilling Staff Expertise in some way.

*Only works on perfectly imbued staffs.

*Failures to combine would knock off a single charge per failure.

*Quality and number of charges left would affect the difficulty.

Pro's:
*Its already coded on Iresh's side! Just needs slight tweaking and if enough people here agree, it'll likely get approved and added in quick!

*Make staffs with a lot of Charges so you dont have to worry about haveing 10+ staffs in 'use'. This has always made no sense and has always been a bit of an annoyance to remove all staffs to get your sword to work. Limiting factor for combining charges is based on your skill level.

*Combining a perfectly imbued staff with the same type of staff that is un-imbued would result in adding +1 Charges to the staff's Charges. The higher your skill level, the more staffs you can combine at the same time. This gives a much needed staff sink as well as gives the option to quickly add some Charges to your staff if you're in a hurry or if you're not in the mood to imbue a fresh one, at the cost of wasting a staff for a measly 1 Charge per staff. Example: Adding 1 oak din fire staff with 20 Charges, plus 10 oak staffs result in a oak din fire staff with 30 Charges, IF you can hit the required work value.

*No way to abuse this system whatsoever. It doesnt take away from anything aside from taking away the repetitive equip and unequipping of staffs.

I dont see any way this offers an unfair advantage or breaks anything period. It adds a new skill to further use in the future if we need to, it adds a staff sink, it adds the ability to make a single staff and add Charges to it. Even if you keep adding Charges to a staff and get over 1k, it wouldnt matter as you put the time and effort into imbuing those staffs or you used a bunch of unimbued staffs that you wanted to be rid of. Win Win. Plus you have to have a skill level high enough to actually get a staff with say 1k charges on it. Too many times have i gone on my mage to make 20+ oak din fire staffs and am annoyed with having to trade them all one by one, use them all one by one, unequip them all one by one to get to my sword if i need to heal real quick, all that bad stuff. This one little feature would make life just a little bit easier as well as give the players what they always wanted, a single staff with a bunch of Charges.
Thoughts?
Last edited by LadyTokya on Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

iresh

Re: Staff Expertise

Post by iresh » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:32 am

interesting concept i am hoping that they still break and you have to form a new one once all the charges run out. because having a permanent staff would be not in the guideline of bm play. I do realize this is not
a requirement anymore that once punisher released the source it became a new game all together. But lets not ruin it and keep it sort of what we fell in love with.

LadyTokya

Post by LadyTokya » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:53 am

iresh wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:32 am
interesting concept i am hoping that they still break and you have to form a new one once all the charges run out. because having a permanent staff would be not in the guideline of bm play.
Well you would be adding either unimbued staffs and eating those up, or adding the imbued staffs to combine and those would get ate up. Having a staff last forever isnt really that big a deal if you think about it because you're sacrificing other staffs to keep that one going. No need to have it die unless you're finished with it and let it use its last charge.

iresh

Post by iresh » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:49 pm

Bm rules was they must eventually break and disappear. other then dusts and ingots that you get back from a dismantal nothing is reusable. this urges the player to level up higher to get a 1000 charge staff at 1 go instead of just using lower power to fuse lower charges on. they disappear for a reason. This is why you must have a vote and players to voice there opinion because why i do this is for the bm players that actually play. this is not mt game it yours except for the new class i want that lol.

Kerrigan

Post by Kerrigan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:13 am

I've not been around for a super long time now, but seeing these kinds of posts might slowly bring me back, as I understand it currently, you could only combine staves of the same material with each other correct? So for example if I mess up on an onyx imbue, could I if I wanted too (and I don't know why I would) use it to charge an oak staff? Or could an oak staff be used to add charges to an onyx?

Also will staff expertise rely on Magic or Creative?

HSDrac011

Post by HSDrac011 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:46 am

I Think its a great idea. I mean you would have to charge the staffs either way to combine them and combining higher and higher SHOULD produce a higher WV needed to be successful so that way people cant be running around with 1k+ charges on a staff unless their expertise is SUPER high.

The point about a staff not breaking and being "unlimited" isn't exactly correct either, as your having to put in work to get more staffs and to imbue them already and you LOSE 1 of the staffs in the expertise process, so it already balances out. It's basically just a way to minimize the need to keep switching out staffs by opening up other in game UI windows.

1 Additional thought: How will this "Staff Expertise" factor into Clvl? (would it be the same as the current crafting expertise skills or different)

LadyTokya

Post by LadyTokya » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:53 pm

Kerrigan wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:13 am
I've not been around for a super long time now, but seeing these kinds of posts might slowly bring me back, as I understand it currently, you could only combine staves of the same material with each other correct? So for example if I mess up on an onyx imbue, could I if I wanted too (and I don't know why I would) use it to charge an oak staff? Or could an oak staff be used to add charges to an onyx?

Also will staff expertise rely on Magic or Creative?
I dont think they would be cross stackable (onyx to oak, oak to onyx), it would have to be the same exact type. Furthermore they must be perfectly imbued staffs to stack charges. This is so people dont just imbue a single time to get whatever base charges you start with because of your magics, then stack them onto a perfectly imbued one.

It could be cool to give the job to the smiths maybe? Weather it goes to smith or mage, the end result is the same :D

LadyTokya

Post by LadyTokya » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:56 pm

HSDrac011 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:46 am
I Think its a great idea. I mean you would have to charge the staffs either way to combine them and combining higher and higher SHOULD produce a higher WV needed to be successful so that way people cant be running around with 1k+ charges on a staff unless their expertise is SUPER high.

The point about a staff not breaking and being "unlimited" isn't exactly correct either, as your having to put in work to get more staffs and to imbue them already and you LOSE 1 of the staffs in the expertise process, so it already balances out. It's basically just a way to minimize the need to keep switching out staffs by opening up other in game UI windows.

1 Additional thought: How will this "Staff Expertise" factor into Clvl? (would it be the same as the current crafting expertise skills or different)
exactly! This feature is just all around non-abuseable and offers nothing but simplicity to the staff system as well as a staff sink.
As for the clvl's thats totally up to the devs there. They have plenty of examples to work with from the current skills.

Solstice

Post by Solstice » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:00 am

Sorry I've been MIA for a few weeks, I agree with Iresh in that if you let it run to zero charges it should break, but if you let it get to one charge and combine more it should continue to live on!
I think something neat that I would also like to see happen with this skill is maybe adding a blind and tangle together so like a bind tangle din staff.
I really hope this is given some consideration as its not going to give any specific player an edge nor break the game. Players of all age can benefit from young to Methuselah.

:D :D :D